It Can't Be Helped!

I’m still hoping to gather lots of examples of “It can’t be helped” in game translations for a big, heavily-requested article. If you know of any and/or have screenshots of any, share them here.

Poe’s been slowly grabbing a bunch from Detective Pikachu and I have a couple examples already gathered, but I’m sure there’s a lot out there that are ripe for the picking!

waku%20waku%20sweets%20switch

Mato has started saying “it can’t be helped” in everyday life now and it’s driving me crazy.

Haha, he said it in the gamecats chat the other day and I was like ‘Not sure if he said that on purpose, or if that’s just become part of his vocab…’

There’s definitely a few of them in Xenogears, but grabbing high-quality screens is some kind of tricky considering how meaty it is. I also don’t think the CT Literal examples of it that I grabbed count.

I’m still amazed that I haven’t seen a single one in Ys 8. Maybe they slipped a few into the patched version.

There’s definitely a phenomenon as a translator in which you start merging languages and translation-ese in your head more and more over time. I think that’s partially why a lot of the go-to, quick-and-easy translation choices get used so much - it’s easy to lose perception of how things sound from the other side of the language barrier.

I know the Gyakuten Kenji 2 fan translation is loaded with "it can’t be helped"s. Are you interested in those? I can’t for the life of me remember if the official AA translations have them.

I’m not sure if you have this one from Yakuza 0 yet?

It’s from the shogi guy you can play against as Majima

Haha, that’s great. I didn’t do that quest much so I probably missed it, thanks!

I kind of cheated at it by using an AI and just mimicking it’s moves and entering the moves from Yakuza 0 as my own :sweat_smile: This dialogue pops up when you approach him and just choose to not play, so it’s easy to get if you’d like a better screenshot.

I want to learn shogi some day, but sadly I’m only proficient in mahjong and go at the moment. Still think Yakuza 0 could use some nice 囲碁 though!